1/8/19: Happy New Year
Dear 1990 Institute Community,
A note to wish you all Happy New Year and to send my thanks for your support and friendship over the last year. For me, the most wonderful benefit of being Executive Director of 1990 Institute has been getting to know so many of you.
Please mark your calendars for 2019:
- On January 24th, we’re co-sponsoring an event to celebrate Helen Zia’s new book on the Shanghainese diaspora: hope you will join us.
- On January 27th, we’re kicking off our Book Bonanza program in partnership with the San Francisco Public Library: John Pomfret, author of The Beautiful Country and the Middle Kingdom will be featured in conversation with Scott Tong, correspondent for Marketplace and China Bureau Chief. We hope to see you there.
- We will be partnering with San Francisco Public Library to offer an interesting series of speakers in connection with Asian Pacific Islander month in May, as well as at other times in the year: stay tuned!
- Our video contest is now accepting submissions through March 31, with winners announced at the end of May.
- Planning for our China Now seminar is underway, and this year’s program will be offered July 26 and 27, 2019 in Redwood City.
- We will be focused on our stretch goals for Book Bonanza to reach libraries in the top cities across the country; and for Penpal Pengyou, to match classrooms in China and the US across a wide geography.
I look forward to seeing you at our 1990 Institute events. In the meantime, if you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
Educating the next generation of Americans and Chinese to broaden and increase mutual understanding.
P.O. Box 383
San Francisco, CA 94104-0383